*NOTE: To learn more about Empaths, please visit my other posts in this series, Effective Ways To Protect Yourself If You Are An Empath and 15 Best Self-Care Tips For Empaths And Gifted People
So, how cool was Counselor Deanna Troi, a half human, half betazoid empath, who got to advise one of Starfleet’s finest captains, Jean-Luc Picard?
I LOVE Deanna Troi and the fact that she could “feel” what others were feeling. She could tell if someone was lying or anxious.
What’s even cooler about this is that empaths are real.
They/we do exist on this planet and
you just might be one and not know it.
New Updated Info In Video! Please Give It A Like And Share On Youtube. Thanks!
What is an empath?
An empath is someone who perceives and feels another’s emotions.
Your moods and, basically your life, are affected by others’ thoughts, desires, cravings, anxiety, etc.
Have you ever gone into a store and your mood suddenly changed?
You wondered where the anger or the panic attack came from?
Well, it’s because when you go into a store, you get bombarded with all the crazy energies of everyone in that store and whatever energies are left from previous people- customers and employees! (The boss’ bad mood, the cranky employee, the happy customer, happy cashier, the over-tired mom and cranky baby…all of it!)
And it’s not just emotions you can be sensitive to.
Empaths can be sensitive to physical experiences, spiritual feelings or just innately “knowing” what other people are about.
You can’t learn how to be an empath.
You either are empathic or you’re not. However, you can develop your gifts, which we will discuss later.
Empaths are always “open” to feel others’ emotions and really “feel” or take on the emotions of others, which can, in many instances, be quite painful.
Sometimes, this heightened sensitivity is looked down on and belittled with remarks like “You’re too sensitive!” or “Lighten up!”
It’s not fair and it’s hurtful but you’re NOT crazy and you are what you are!
No one…NO ONE has the right to tell you you’re too sensitive.
In fact, maybe they’re not sensitive enough!
Here are some traits that will help you identify if you’re an empath or not. Remember, you do not need to experience all of these to be empathic!
1. Public places can be overwhelming and cause anxiety. Empaths pick up on ALL the emotions bombarding them from others. Believe me, I’ve run out of stores MANY times in panic attacks. They’re not fun but I understand them now and mentally and energetically prepare myself before I go into ANY public place!
2. Knowing things. Empaths just know without being told. It’s more than a gut feeling and as they become more “in tune”, the stronger this gift becomes. Sadly, they know when someone is being honest or not and sometimes this can be painful when it’s a loved one that is lying.
3. Empaths need solitude. An empath will go bananas if they don’t get their quiet time, even to the point of having a melt-down! This is very obvious in empathic kids.
4. Highly creative, you’ll find empaths are involved in some sort of creative pursuit, whether it be singing, dancing, acting, drawing, writing, cake decorating or even designing super highways!
5. Loving nature and animals, getting outdoors in nature whenever possible is imperative for empaths and pets are an absolute must!
6. Empaths really can’t do things they don’t enjoy. It’s like pulling teeth to get them do something they don’t enjoy. To them it feels like they are living a lie by doing it, so to force an empath to do something they dislike through guilt or calling them lazy will only make them unhappy and hate it more. Many empaths are labeled as being lazy precisely because of this. Yet give them something they love to do and they will do it til they either finish the task or pass out from exhaustion first!
7. Putting on weight without overeating, empaths naturally put on the pounds as a form of protection so the incoming negative energies don’t have as much impact on them.
8. Sounds crazy but empaths can usually feel the days of the week. Maybe you or a friend have said, “Gee, it feels like Friday,” or “Today is Saturday? OMG, it feels like Sunday!” They pick up on how the collective are feeling.
9. Many empaths are vegan or vegetarian because they sense the energy of food. They can feel the vibrations of the animal (especially if the animal suffered), and sometimes have vivid flashes of the stockyard, etc. It’s difficult for them to eat animals of any sort, even if they like the taste. On the other hand, they feel the life force in their veggies and fruits.
10. Naturally, empaths are excellent listeners and will not usually talk about themselves much unless it’s to someone they really, really trust. They love to learn and know about others and genuinely care when they ask “how are you?” That’s why people are drawn to them and feel safe with them, letting their innermost thoughts come gushing out of their mouths.
These are just a few traits that may help you determine if you’re an empath or not.
Hopefully, this little list opens your eyes to someone you may know who is empathic, too.
I welcome your comments and questions and invite you to share this post with a friend, tweet it or share it via social media.